Both the IWF and the Dominican Weightlifting Federation devote special attention to every detail in the preparation of the 2006 World Championships in Santo Domingo, which will be the first major event in the 2008 Olympic Qualification process. IWF inspectors from the Budapest headquarters recently paid a visit to the Dominican Republic and met Mr. Felipe Payano, Sports Minister and President of the Organising Committee of the Mundial 2006, Dr. Bolivar Vargas, President of the Dominican Weightlifting Federation and other members of the Committee. The website of the World Championships www.mundialdepesas2006.com is already operational with gradually updated and refined contents, but here are some of the main features and pieces of important information:
1. Entry to the Dominican Republic is free to citizens of all countries (with few exceptions requiring a visa previously issued, subject to a separate list which will be provided to NFs soon) ? against the payment of a U$ 10 Tourist Fee.
2. Two high-class hotels on the Boca Chica coast are to accommodate the participants: the Hamaca Coral By Hilton and the Dominican Bay ? both offering round-the-clock all-inclusive food service! The daily rate is: U$ 90 per person in a double; U$ 120 per person in a single room.
3. The competition venue is in the Sports Park at 20-minutes bus ride from the hotels, used for handball at the Pan American Games. The training is in the same venue.
4. Barbells of ELEIKO will be used. The IWF will supply the complete Technology and Information System.
5. Deadlines are now confirmed: Preliminary Entries ? before 29/07/2006; Final Entries before 15/09/2006. But for an early booking please consult the registration forms and deadlines on the website.
6. Schedule: 27-28-29/09/2006 are reserved for IWF Committees, Executive Board meetings and the Annual Congress. Verification of Final Entries at 19:00-20:00h on 28th September 2006! Competitions run from 30/09 to 07/10/2006.
7. Communication with the Organising Committee: Recently, a major power failure and subsequent fire at the Federation?s headquarters totally destroyed their entire communication technology equipment. That was the reason for a stop in the contacts. However, you may now send e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org, or email@example.com or fax to: +1-809-549-4900.