The IOC Executive Board met in Beijing and has approved unanimously to propose the creation of Youth Olympic Games (YOG) to the Session in Guatemala City in July. This project will allow the IOC to offer young people an event with competitions adapted to their age and development. The YOG will comprise a strong educational and cultural component. This will be a powerful initiative to expose young people to the Olympic values of excellence, friendship and respect, and it will be an opportunity to inform them about threats such as doping, violence and over-commercialisation of sport. The first edition of the Youth Olympic Games would be tentatively set for 2010. In his earlier conversation with IWF President Dr. Tamas Ajan, the IOC President had said "Weightlifting must be on the program" of the Games.
Actual news More news »
- Lasha Talakhadze Named ‘Athlete of the Year’ by Georgia’s National Olympic Committee January 18, 2018
- Women’s weightlifting: a long journey from naked weigh-ins to hijab-wearing heroine who inspired Iran January 17, 2018
- Remembering Mario Martinez January 17, 2018
- Sarah Robles Wins Best of Team USA December Honors January 15, 2018
- Days of glory for Chilean weightlifting January 8, 2018