The IOC Executive Board met in Beijing and has approved unanimously to propose the creation of Youth Olympic Games (YOG) to the Session in Guatemala City in July. This project will allow the IOC to offer young people an event with competitions adapted to their age and development. The YOG will comprise a strong educational and cultural component. This will be a powerful initiative to expose young people to the Olympic values of excellence, friendship and respect, and it will be an opportunity to inform them about threats such as doping, violence and over-commercialisation of sport. The first edition of the Youth Olympic Games would be tentatively set for 2010. In his earlier conversation with IWF President Dr. Tamas Ajan, the IOC President had said "Weightlifting must be on the program" of the Games.
Actual news More news »
- Lima to be venue for 2024 Olympic host city decision after win bid to host 2017 IOC Session December 11, 2014
- Rio 2016 Volunteer Program deadline extended December 11, 2014
- IOC Session gave recognition to the NOC of Kosovo December 9, 2014
- Hungarian Péter Nagy winds up WUWC 2014 with last victory December 8, 2014
- Beauchemin-Nadeau breaks home triumph streak at WUWC December 7, 2014