David Matam Matam
- Further Personal Information
- Besançon, FRA
- Sport Specific Information
- When and where did you begin this sport?
- He began weightlifting at age 18 in Yaounde, Cameroon.
- Why this sport?
- His father Didier was Cameroon national weightlifting coach and encouraged him to take up the sport.
- Club / Team
- La Francaise de Besancon: France
- General Interest
- Hercule (letelegramme.fr, 22 May 2015)
- He underwent an elbow operation in early 2016. (estrepublicain.fr, 28 Apr 2016)
He missed the 2000 Olympic Games in Sydney because of injury. (letelegramme.fr, 22 May 2015)
- Famous relatives
- His older brothers Alphonse [1992 for Cameroon] and Samson [1996 for Cameroon, 2000 and 2004 for France] and younger brother Bernardin [2012 for France] have all competed in weightlifting at the Olympic Games. His father Didier was Cameroon national weightlifting coach. (letelegramme.fr, 22 May 2015; franceolympique.com, 30 Apr 2012; sports-reference.com, 2012)
- Other information
- NATIONAL COACH
In January 2016 he was announced as part of the French national coaching set-up in addition to his coaching role at La Francaise de Besancon. (ffhaltero.fr, 27 Jan 2016)
FROM CAMEROON TO FRANCE
He competed for Cameroon at the Commonwealth Games in 1998 and 2002, but switched to compete for France after becoming a French citizen in 2003. (letelegramme.fr, 22 May 2015; news.bbc.co.uk, 01 Aug 2002)
Actual news More news »
- Lydia Valentín Finally Receives Her Olympic Silver Medal January 22, 2018
- Lasha Talakhadze Named ‘Athlete of the Year’ by Georgia’s National Olympic Committee January 18, 2018
- Women’s weightlifting: a long journey from naked weigh-ins to hijab-wearing heroine who inspired Iran January 17, 2018
- Remembering Mario Martinez January 17, 2018
- Sarah Robles Wins Best of Team USA December Honors January 15, 2018