Dr. Tamas AJAN
- PhD Teacher of Physical Education at the Budapest University of Physical Education in 1964
- Coaching Diploma in football and gymnastics
- Postgraduate course in arts at the Eotvos Lorand University
Doctor of Political Sciences in 1983
Practised various sports, including football, yachting, basketball. National Champion in gymnastics.
- One year as Associated Professor at the University of Physical Education.
- In 1965, collaborator at the Department of Sports of the Hungarian Ministry of Sports and Physical Education.
- From 1968 to 1983, General Secretary of the Hungarian Weightlifting Federation.
- From 1983 to 1989, Vice-President of the Hungarian Ministry of Sports and Physical Education.
- In 1989, elected as General Secretary of the independent Hungarian Olympic Committee.
- Re-elected in this position for a third term until 2005.
- Since 2006 the Honorary General Secretary of the Hungarian Olympic Committee
- Since 1989, President of the Hungarian Olympic Academy.
- Appointed Professor of the University of Physical Education of Budapest, lecturing and visiting Professor at the Faculty of Diplomatics and International Relations of the Budapest University of Economic Sciences.
- Doctor Honoris Causa of the Sofia and Jerevan Academies of Physical Education, the Hanyang University in Seoul
- In 1969, a founding member of the European Weightlifting Federation (EWF)
- EWF Vice President since 1970, at present EWF Honorary President
- International Weightlifting Federation (IWF) Vice-President since 1970
- In 1976, elected to the position of General Secretary of the IWF, re-elected five times until 2000
- President of the IWF since 2000, re-elected in 2005 and 2009
- In 1978, elected to the Council of the General Association of International Sports Federations (GAISF)
- From 1988 to 2011, Vice President of Sport Accord (previously: GAISF)
- From 1988 to 1992, Member of the Association of the Summer Olympic International Federations (ASOIF) Council
- WADA Board Member since January 2000
Member of the International Olympic Committee
Honorary Member of the International Olympic Committee
Member of IOC Commissions
- IOC Sports for All Commission
- IOC International Relations Commission
- Articles on subjects of sports methodology, weightlifting, international sports diplomacy.
“Weightlifting – Fitness for All Sports” (in English)
“Guidebook for Weightlifting Referees” (in English)
- Lectures presented at: GAISF, IOC Sports for All Congresses, various antidoping seminars, IWF and EWF Conferences, coaching clinics, IOC conferences, Olympic Academy
- Responsible Editor and Publisher of World Weightlifting magazine
- Editor-in-Chief of the book “Hungarians at the Olympic Games 1896-2004)
Experience in the organisation of sports competitions and other events
- International weightlifting competitions – Olympic Games, World and Continental Championships, various Games, World Cups
- Technical Delegate and Sport Director during six Olympic Games
- IOC 104th Session (1995) – President of the Organising Committee
- Award presented by BESEFESE (Bulgaria) President in 1986;
- State Order of Merit (the highest state order which can be awarded to a foreign citizen) presented by the President of South-Korea in 1989 as an appreciation for his activity carried out for the development of the bilateral relations between Hungary and South Korea;
- IOC Olympic Order, in 1995;
- Several Hungarian state and sports awards incl. “Officer’s Cross of the Order of Merit of the Republic of Hungary” (1996), Middle Cross of the Order of Merit of the Republic of Hungary (2009)
- State Order of the Republic of Finland
- International Fair Play Order for his anti-doping activity in 2005
- “Madara Horseman” Order 1st Degree by the President of the Republic of Bulgaria, in 2000
- “Officer’s Cross of the President of the Republic of Poland
- “Order of Friendship” award of the Russian President Dmitry Medvedev 2011