Name: Hidilyn Diaz
D.O.B: 20 February 1991
Bodyweight Category: 55kg
Major Medals (Total): 13
- Snatch: 103kg
- Clean and Jerk: 123kg
- Total: 226kg
Hidilyn Diaz winning silver at the 2016 Rio Olympics
1. Snatch or clean & jerk?
2. What do you like to listen to when training?
3. How many hours a week do you spend in the gym?
9 sessions a week in Weightlifting and 3 sessions jogging and other stuff.
4. What’s your favourite aspect of training?
When I’m crying like crazy because I’m in so so much pain and I can’t do anything but rest and accept that day is not my day.
5. Which aspect of training do you hate the most?
Hate the process. Love and hate actually, when I have to train even though I’m sore.
6. If there was one thing you could improve about your technique, what would it be?
I need to improve my strength and I want to muscle memory my technique.
7. What is your most memorable lift?
The most memorable lift was the winning moment in Olympics. Wooh! With all the pain and challenges I was able to survive.
8. What achievements will allow you to retire happy?
I will retire happy if I win a Gold medal in Olympics.
9. Knowing what you know now, what one thing would you change in your first training routines?
I need to change my mindset. I need to believe that I can do it. I need to convince myself that I love what I’m doing.
10. Who is the greatest weightlifter of all time?
For me, Idolize Eko Irawan. When I was young he was already a champion and he was able to maintain his status. That amazed me. How was he able to do it?!
11. What is the most important thing needed to be an Olympic weightlifter?
What makes me different from other athletes is my attitude towards training. I will give everything to what I’m doing. I think all Olympic weightlifters are disciplined, determined and have a dreams and even when they fail they still get up and keep fighting for their dream.
Hidilyn Diaz at the 2017 IWF World Championships
1. Describe yourself in 3 words.
Weightlifting defines who I am. (Sorry not three words)
2. What other sports do you like to play?
I didn’t play other sports when I was young but now I’ve learnt to appreciate swimming and cycling.
3. What is your favourite meal?
I love food, so everything is my favourite!
4. If you could only eat one type of cuisine for the rest of your life, what would it be?
I don’t want only one cuisine, I want a buffet where I can try everything. I will always choose Filipino cuisine. Yummy!
5. Describe your perfect day off.
The perfect day is a productive day, where I move and do the things I need to do.
6. Which person, dead or alive, would you like to have a conversation with?
I want to talk to my Lola, who died before 2016. I miss her and I want to hug her.
7. Name one skill you would like to learn.
I want to learn how to be an Interior Designer.
8. Which is the one place you would like to visit?
9. What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever received?
God is the best direction in life. Lean on Him. Seek him on every decision you make.
See Hidilyn’s results from the 2018 World Championships in Ashgabat here.