- Further Personal Information
- Husband Naveen Kumar
- Kolkata, IND
- Athlete, Railway Worker
- Bengali, English, Hindi
- Sport Specific Information
- When and where did you begin this sport?
- She took up the sport at a weightlifting club in Kolkata, India.
- Why this sport?
- Her mother encouraged her to take up the sport after realising that she was able to lift heavy sacks of grain while running errands for her neighbours. "Some of the elderly people would ask me to lug a sack or two to the storeroom on the second or third floor for a rupee or two. Sometimes they would shoo me away after the work was done."
- Name of coach
- Vijay Sharma [national], IND; Naveen Kumar [husband], IND
- General Interest
- In December 2018 she sustained a knee injury that affected her for two months. (thehindu.com, 24 Feb 2019)
- Other information
She joined the Indian Railways under a sports quota programme that allows her to train and compete internationally. (scroll.in, 23 Jan 2018)
Actual news More news »
- Weightlifting Fiji elects Della Shaw-Elder as its new President June 2, 2020
- Seminar on how to live in times of coronavirus May 31, 2020
- IOC Approves Revised Weightlifting Olympic Qualification System For Tokyo 2020 May 29, 2020
- 2020 FISU World University Championships publishes Bulletin with info May 25, 2020
- Tonga is mourning the death of Maamaloa Lolohea May 25, 2020