- Further Personal Information
- Hobart, TAS, AUS
- Athlete, Business Owner, Coach, Massage Therapist
- Sport Specific Information
- When and where did you begin this sport?
- She began weightlifting at age 14 in Tasmania, Australia.
- Why this sport?
- She was introduced to the sport by her father. "I was doing athletics and judo and so was my brother. Then my brother did weightlifting and he got to junior Oceania level. My dad told me I'd be good at it too, so I did it as cross-training. It was the best decision."
- Club / Team
- Weightlifting Academy of Tasmania: Hobart, TAS, AUS
- General Interest
- Sporting philosophy / motto
- "Courage, at least, deserves praise. In great endeavours, sometimes even to have had the will is enough." (Facebook profile, 12 Oct 2014)
- Other sports
- She has competed in judo at national level and holds a black belt in toshinkai karate. She has also competed in kettlebell sport lifting at state level in Australia. (Instagram profile, 16 Apr 2018; girevoysportaustralia.org, 14 Apr 2018; artgym.com.au, 14 May 2017)
- Other information
- ACADEMY FOUNDER
In March 2015 she co-founded the Weightlifting Academy of Tasmania in Glenorchy, TAS, Australia, with coach Leo Isaac. "That's been my career highlight. It's been a growth curve. We have kids, like 14 to 15 years old who come, it's really all ages. It's such a good environment for them to just turn up and be a part of it. You don't have to be good." (Instagram profile, 16 Apr 2018; olympics.com.au, 06 Nov 2015)
In 2006 she was banned from competing for two years after testing positive for benzylpiperazine at the Australian national championships in 2005. She denied taking the substance and maintained she had no knowledge that it was a weight loss supplement. An appeal was made to the Court of Arbitration for Sport [CAS], which upheld the two-year ban. "It did cross my mind just to pack it in [retire] but I just couldn't. I've always enjoyed the sport for what it is. My coach and Weightlifting Tasmania gave me as much support as I could have asked for." (abc.net.au, 07 Feb 2008, 03 Feb 2006; asada.gov.au, 2006)
Actual news More news »
- IWF Competition Calendar Update September 25, 2020
- 20 years anniversary of female inclusion in weightlifting at the Olympic Games September 22, 2020
- Anniversary – Frank Isaac Spellman September 17, 2020
- Cali 2021: Young Athletes of the Americas Will Reach for the Sky September 9, 2020
- WHEREABOUTS REMINDER Q4 2020 September 8, 2020