Bernardin Kingue Matam
- Further Personal Information
- Paris, FRA
- Athlete, Office Worker
- English, French
- Higher education
- Economics - University of Franche-Comte: Besançon, FRA
- Sport Specific Information
- When and where did you begin this sport?
- He took up weightlifting at age 13 in Cameroon.
- Why this sport?
- His father Didier was a Cameroon national weightlifting coach and encouraged him and his siblings to take up the sport. "It's simple, out of 14 brothers and sisters in my family, 11 are weightlifters."
- Club / Team
- VGA Saint-Maur: Paris, FRA
- Training Regime
- He trains at the National Institute of Sport [INSEP] in Paris, France.
- General Interest
- Berny (Facebook profile, 29 Apr 2019)
- Memorable sporting achievement
- Winning a gold medal at the 2017 European Championships in Split, Croatia. (Facebook page, 06 Apr 2017)
- He suffered from a back injury at the 2017 World Championships in Anaheim, CA, United States of America. (la-croix.com, 28 Nov 2017)
A thigh injury sustained during his first lift at the 2012 Olympic Games in London caused him to withdraw from the Games. (jactiv.ouest-france.fr, 18 Feb 2016; vosgesmatin.fr, 11 Aug 2016; leparisien.fr, 09 Aug 2018)
- Famous relatives
- His older brothers have all competed in weightlifting at the Olympic Games - Alphonse in 1992 for Cameroon, Samson in 1996 for Cameroon then 2000 and 2004 for France, and David in 2004 for France. His father Didier was a Cameroon national weightlifting coach. (letelegramme.fr, 22 May 2015; franceolympique.com, 30 Apr 2012; sports-reference.com, 2012)
- To win a medal at the 2020 Olympic Games in Tokyo. (insep.fr, 03 Aug 2017)
- Other information
He works as an assistant in human resources for Vinci Autoroutes, a company specialised in the operation of motorway infrastructure in France. He benefits from a state-subsidised contract that allows him to maintain a professional career alongside weightlifting. (vinci-autoroutes.com, 11 Apr 2017, 09 Apr 2019)
FROM CAMEROON TO FRANCE
He moved from Cameroon to France at age 14, and became a French citizen in 2011. He comes from a family of 14 children. (lepoint.fr, 08 Jun 2015)
Actual news More news »
- Weightlifting: What’s Old Is New Again as a 2020 Trend February 24, 2020
- Pan American Weightlifting Federation Electoral Congress February 23, 2020
- Coaching and Anti-Doping Seminar in Tashkent February 21, 2020
- IWF 2019 LIFTER OF THE YEAR – AMERICAN AND GEORGIAN WINNERS February 20, 2020
- A fruitful Asian Youth and Junior Championships in Tashkent, UZB February 19, 2020