- Further Personal Information
- Sport Specific Information
- When and where did you begin this sport?
- He took up the sport in about 2000 in Ambato, Ecuador.
- Why this sport?
- "It was unplanned. My physical education teacher invited me to train for a school competition, and I kept going."
- Name of coach
- Hugo Quelal [national], ECU
- General Interest
- A left knee injury limited his performance at the 2019 Pan American Games in Lima, Peru. (elcomercio.com, 30 Jul 2019)
In 2018 he decided to have surgery on his knees caused by many years of training. He came back in time for the 2018 World Championships in Ashgabat, Turkmenistan. (ecuadortv.ec, 12 Dec 2018; elcomercio.com, 14 Sep 2018)
He sustained an injury to his right knee while competing at the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro. (estadio.ec, 16 Aug 2016)
His preparations for the 2015 Pan American Games in Toronto, ON, Canada, were affected after he was diagnosed with chikungunya a few weeks before the event was due to begin. The illness causes high fever and joint pains. (telegrafo.com.ec, 19 Jul 2015)
- Other information
He retired from weightlifting in 2008, and returned to the sport in 2013. "I fell in love with my first wife and I left everything. I was on the shortlist to go to the 2008 Olympic Games in Beijing, but I quit." (telegrafo.com.ec, 19 Jul 2015)