- Further Personal Information
- Taldykorgan, KAZ
- Kazakh, Russian
- Sport Specific Information
- When and where did you begin this sport?
- She began weightlifting at age nine.
- Why this sport?
- "When I first came to a gym and was passing by a barbell, I decided to lift it. My first thought after that was how heavy it was."
- Name of coach
- Bakhyt Akhmetov [national], KAZ; Viktor Ni [personal], KAZ
- General Interest
- Zulya (sports.kz, 21 Jul 2014)
- Hero / Idol
- Kazakhstani weightlifter Svetlana Podobedova. (Athlete, 16 Dec 2010)
- Awards and honours
- In 2012 she was named Best Female Athlete in Kazakhstan. (vesti.kz, 14 Dec 2012)
She has been presented with the National Orders of Kurmet [Honour] and Barys [second grade] in Kazakhstan. (confederation.kz, 2014)
She holds the title of Honoured Master of Sport in Kazakhstan. (shooting-sports.kz, 18 Dec 2019)
- She became the first woman from Kazakhstan to win a gold medal at the world championships when she claimed victory in the 53kg category at the 2009 edition in Goyang, Republic of Korea. (SportsDeskOnline, 30 Oct 2018; confederation.kz, 2014; azattyq.org, 23 Nov 2009)
- Other information
In June 2016 she received a two-year ban form the International Weightlifting Federation [IWF] after she tested positive for the prohibited substances oxandrolone and stanozolol. Her sample had been taken at the 2012 Olympic Games in London and was tested again as part of the International Olympic Committee's [IOC] reanalysis from the 2008 and 2012 Olympic Games. She was also stripped of the gold medal she won at the 2012 Games in London. (barbend.com, 13 Jan 2018; iwf.net, 2018)
Born in Kazakhstan, she moved to the People's Republic of China at a young age with her parents. She returned to Kazakhstan in 2007. (kaztag.info, 08 Aug 2012)
Actual news More news »
- Weightlifting mourns the loss of John Lear June 29, 2020
- Update On June IWF Activity June 26, 2020
- Olympian Mohammed Yaseen Mohammed passed away at the age of 57 June 26, 2020
- Anti-Doping Webinar June 24, 2020
- McLaren Findings And IOC Support Driving Reform Process At International Weightlifting Federation June 11, 2020