- Further Personal Information
- Taldykorgan, KAZ
- Kazakh, Russian
- Sport Specific Information
- When and where did you begin this sport?
- She began weightlifting at age nine.
- Why this sport?
- "When I first came to a gym and was passing by a barbell, I decided to lift it. My first thought after that was how heavy it was."
- Club / Team
- Regional School of Supreme Sports Skill: Taldykorgan, KAZ
- Name of coach
- Yury Melnikov [national], KAZ
- General Interest
- Zulya (sports.kz, 21 Jul 2014)
- Watching television, shopping. (today.kz, 06 Nov 2015)
- Hero / Idol
- Kazakhstani weightlifter Svetlana Podobedova. (Athlete, 16 Dec 2010)
- Awards and honours
- In 2012 she was named Best Female Athlete in Kazakhstan. (vesti.kz, 14 Dec 2012)
She has been presented with the national Orders of Kurmet [Honour] and Barys [second grade] in Kazakhstan. (confederation.kz, 2014)
She holds the title of Honoured Master of Sport in Kazakhstan. (kazsports.kz, 20 Dec 2017)
- To win a medal at the 2018 World Championships in Ashgabat, Kazakhstan. (sports.kz, 29 Aug 2018)
- Other information
In June 2016 she received a two-year ban form the International Weightlifting Federation [IWF] after she tested positive for the prohibited substances oxandrolone and stanozolol. Her sample had been taken at the 2012 Olympic Games in London and was tested again as part of the International Olympic Committee's [IOC] reanalysis from the 2008 and 2012 Olympic Games. She was also stripped of the gold medal she won at the 2012 Games in London. (barbend.com, 13 Jan 2018; iwf.net, 2018)
She became the first woman from Kazakhstan to win gold at the world championships when she claimed victory in the 53kg category at the 2009 edition in Goyang, Republic of Korea. (SportsDeskOnline, 30 Oct 2018; confederation.kz, 2014; azattyq.org, 23 Nov 2009)
BACK AND FORTH
Born in Kazakhstan, she moved to the People's Republic of China at a young age with her parents. She returned to Kazakhstan in 2007. (kaztag.info, 08 Aug 2012)
Actual news More news »
- MIRABAI Chanu Saikhom vows to touch 210 kg mark before Tokyo 2020 Games February 14, 2019
- Get to know… Hidilyn Diaz February 12, 2019
- Constitutional Working Group’s 2nd meeting February 12, 2019
- Talakhadze and Valentin are Best for 2018 again February 11, 2019
- IWF Train the Trainers Course for Women February 6, 2019