Darren Lamar Barnes
- Further Personal Information
- St. Louis, MO, USA
- Athlete, Fitness Centre Worker
- English, Spanish
- Higher education
- Coaching, Language Studies - Spanish - Lindenwood University: Saint Charles, MO, USA
- Sport Specific Information
- When and where did you begin this sport?
- He took up weightlifting in 2001.
- Why this sport?
- He got involved in weightlifting through his older siblings.
- Club / Team
- East Coast Gold: United States
- Name of coach
- Victor Gallego [personal]
- General Interest
- He sustained a labral tear in his shoulder at the 2016 National Championships in United States of America. He returned eight months later. (barbend.com, 18 Aug 2017)
He dislocated his elbow in May 2015 at the Regional Championships in St. Louis, MO, United States of America, and returned to training in October 2015. (weightliftingmindset.com, 03 May 2015; Facebook profile, 01 Oct 2015)
- Sporting philosophy / motto
- "I do the best I can. I never give up. Therefore, I achieve." (Facebook profile, 13 Sep 2018)
- Famous relatives
- His twin brother Darrel Barnes and his half-brother Derrick Johnson have both represented United States of America in weightlifting. Darrel competed at the 2014 Junior World Championships in Kazan, Russian Federation, while Derrick Johnson competed at the 2015 World Championships in Houston, TX, United States of America. (weightliftingmindset.com, 03 May 2015; phillyburb.com, 14 Mar 2013; examiner.com 09 Mar 2014; SportsDeskOnline, 21 Sep 2018)
- To compete at the Olympic Games and to study at medical school to become a sports doctor. (Facebook page, 22 Jan 2016)
- Other information
He works at OsteoStrong, a health and wellness centre in St. Louis, MO, United States of America. (Facebook profile, 13 Sep 2018)
He and his twin brother Darrel followed their older siblings into the sport and began weightlifting at age seven in 2001. Their oldest half-brother Derrick Johnson achieved success at that year's National School-Age Championships in United States of America, and inspired the twins and their other siblings Eugene and Quintin to take up the sport. Darren and Darrel began training under Derrick Johnson at age 10, and have since competed against their half-brother in the 62kg weight category. (lindenwoodlions.com, 29 Jul 2011; phillyburb.com, 14 Mar 2013; examiner.com 09 Mar 2014)
Actual news More news »
- IWF and ITA representatives discussed plans for the future December 9, 2019
- Executive Board makes further progress towards clean weightlifting December 5, 2019
- Issue 149 of WORLD WEIGHTLIFTING is published December 5, 2019
- CAS decision upholds IMFSP sanction against Egypt December 4, 2019
- Open Letter to Weightlifters November 29, 2019