- Further Personal Information
- Marital status
- * unknown *
- Rome, ITA
- Athlete, Police Officer
- Sport Specific Information
- When and where did you begin this sport?
- He took up weightlifting at age 10.
- Why this sport?
- He played football when he was young and went to the gym with his father, a weightlifter, to gain strength. His father made him do some exercises and realised that he was good. He then went to a local junior competition in Naples, Italy, and won, breaking a 20-year-old Italian record in the process. "From then on I focused more on training for weightlifting. I liked the individual nature of the sport."
- Club / Team
- GS Fiamme Oro: Italy
- Name of coach
- Giovanni Scarantino [father, personal], ITA
- General Interest
- Nanosky (Facebook profile, 15 Oct 2018)
- Memorable sporting achievement
- Winning gold at the European championships in both 2016 and 2017. (federpesistica.it, 02 Apr 2017; azzurridigloria.com, 28 May 2016)
- Most influential person in career
- His father. (azzurridigloria.com, 05 Apr 2018; oasport.it, 02 Apr 2015)
- Hero / Idol
- His father. (azzurridigloria.com, 28 May 2016)
- Famous relatives
- His father Giovanni Scarantino competed for Italy in weightlifting at the 1988, 1992 and 1996 Olympic Games. (Facebook profile, 15 Oct 2018; repubblica.it, 07 Nov 2013; sports-reference.com, 2012)
- To compete at four editions of the Olympic Games. (corrieredellosport.ir, 20 Apr 2016)
- Other information
He works as a police officer for the Penitentiary Police in Italy. (Facebook profile, 15 Oct 2018)
He and his father have a close relationship as coach and athlete, as well as father and son. "He made me understand what are the objectives, putting me on the right path. At the gym we are not a father and a son, but a coach and an athlete and this is not so obvious: finding the right approach between father and son in training is not always easy, because the athlete can try to cut the training a little. But this has never happened between us and we have always worked well. He, then, is proud and more excited than me." (azzurridigloria.com, 05 Apr 2018; meridionews.it, 20 Jul 2016)
He became the first Italian to win a European title in the men's -56kg category when he claimed victory in the event at the 2016 European Championships in Forde, Norway. (azzurridigloria.com, 28 May 2016; SportsDeskOnline, 19 Oct 2018)
He has a tattoo of the Olympic rings with a barbell and 'London 2012' written underneath them on his left pectoral. (Instagram profile, 15 Oct 2018)